Friday, November 5, 2010

So, it’s about one-hundred days until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. 99 days on the wall, 99 days on the wall…
Baseball and the world lost one of the greatest, modern characters Sparky Anderson yesterday. He was about as close a throw-back to Casey Stengel so, even though he led the Reds to my first crushing defeat – the 1976 sweep – I will indeed let bygones be bygone. RIP Sparky…


Spoiler alerts aplenty: Watched “Until the Light Takes Us” on dvd last night courtesy of my weird friends over at Netflix. I am not even sure how this documentary found its way onto my queue and then eventually my mailbox. I think I have to blame Saxifrage.
And I really wish that I hadn’t read the little description on the dvd sleeve. What starts out as one of those music documentaries on a particular scene (in this case, the Norwegian “Black Metal Inner Circle” of the late 90’s) complete with the much-needed competition/bad blood between the two leading bands slowly begins to unravel as something else.
Turns out one of the kids around the scene is a murderer; the bands seem to think that’s neat. And then a very old church gets burned down. It’s more a political move against the Judeo-Christian powers that in the bands’ minds have stolen their culture, disrespected it and instituted its own. Okay, great! But then it quite quickly descends into this Satan-worshipping cult according to the news and before you know it, heavy metal kids all over Norway are burning churches and marking them with Satanic shenanigans.
I have just “ruined” it for you, too… So sorry. Still worth watching. There’s much that I haven’t even touched.


Nano’ing right along; actually did a second evening writing session with a little assistance and wound up turning in a 2400 word day bringing me up to nearly 8500 words after four days.
And much like how I found the major plot point/twist that I needed on Monday, I may have found the novel’s “voice” last night as I stumbled about in the haze. May have to go against my own rules and read what I wrote at some point. Right this moment, that would seem more like an excuse not to move forward than anything else, so I will resist that stalling tactic and move forward into the past in today’s work. It’s time…

No comments:

Post a Comment