Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Baseball season is done; long live the hot-stove league. I’ll give them the five days that MLB teams now have to negotiate exclusively with their now, automatically filed for free agency, players. I’ll ignore how Yahoo sports twisted Hal Steinbrenner’s comments about the Jeter negotiation saying they could “get messy” was taken out of context. Still it will be entertaining to see if any of the other twenty-nine squads out there will make a run at The Captain or Mo.
Giants’ World Series parade commences down San Francisco’s Market Street in about forty-five minutes.
So far, so good on the new November novel: two days down and slightly ahead of schedule, but still hoping to have some other writers onboard to either serve as pace car or fast-approaching in my blind-spot.
Oddly enough, Netflix sent me two movies that had some things in common with what I am writing. I probably put the movie on my queue because the title was a Wilco song, but the lead from Party Down was very good with a script that, well I think I could have written it. I felt like even more of the cliché than I thought.
Amusingly enough, just when I realized that the theme of “Passenger Side” was to answer, “yes, please.” One of the leads said those very words. By the way, the lead in the movie is a writer, living on the grungy East Side of Los Angeles who eschews many aspects of modern life: no cell phone or even call-waiting or voice-mail on his phone, manual typewriter, tape deck—you get the point. And of course, (*SPOILER ALERT*) he’s stabbed in the back by his brother over a girl.
I followed that one up with “Please Give” which was more the entitled New York version of the indie drama. Very nice cast including Catherine Keener, Oliver Platt, Amanda Peet (who I realized looks like a friend, or vice versa) and the kind of geeky, tall, awkward brunette that I’ve found myself with eyes for.
Finished reading Sarah Silverman’s autobiography, The Bedwetter, and really enjoyed that. Also learned that Winona was born Moskowitz (or something like that) and not Ryder and is retroactively added to the very near top of my Jews I Do list.
Okay, back to the book. It’s called Giving In and I’ll give you the synopsis as soon as I figure that out…

No comments:

Post a Comment