Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Giants win the Series! The Giants win the Series! And in such impressive fashion one must really take their hats off to them. This team of studly, crazy starting pitching, an impressive bullpen and squeezing enough from those castaways and wire pick-ups really showed their mettle all the way down the stretch and carried it through the entire post-season.
They were far from the best team on paper, but the game’s the thing, and the Giants took those extra 11 games and took home that trophy. Good on them and their long-suffering, waiting fans. I am sure San Francisco went about as crazy as it’s able to last night.

Dario Argent, long my absolute favorite Italian genre/giallo maestro should really hang it up. I don’t know why I even bother any longer. My expectations were so low for Mother of Tears, the long overdue completion of the Mothers trilogy he started in the 1970’s, that I was able to get some sort of “enjoyment” out of it when it came out on dvd a few months back.
Last night, Netflix deemed me worthy to screen Giallo (yellow in Italian; the genre title comes from the fact that the little nourish thriller dime novels long considered the source for these cinematic excursions into madness had yellow covers) in the privacy of my own home.
And you wonder how Adrien Brody wound up starring in this flick. Or, maybe you don’t; when’s the last time you watched one of his movies by choice? And the movie is utterly predictable from the get-go so even mentioning spoilers seems redundant.
Argento shoots some lovely trademark locations. I wonder if the opera house came decked out all in red or if the director (who has made a number of movies around operas, opera houses and operatic themes; he’s also directed a couple actual operas in Italy) was able to get them to redecorate to fit his needs.
Anway, Brody channels Fox Mulder as the “spooky” inspector from Brooklyn, who works alone from the basement of the police station. Sad to say, this movie and the American-written screenplay, which I imagine came from some Argento fan-boys, had nothing to it—not even one of those traditional, sick and twisted, sexual twist, but I was glad when it ended.

Started the new Nanowrimo novel yesterday and maybe figured out a major plot-point as I was fumbling around in the dark. And although the back story is all ancient history, this tome will look into the future and that’s as pleasant a change as I can come up with.
There’s a nibble on one of the short scripts – the adaptation of “Charlotte’s Web” – but I won’t bore you with details until they are actually details.
And Marco is still threatening to come back to life via the prodding of a waiting audience. Or cash money. More like the latter…

No comments:

Post a Comment