Saturday, January 15, 2011

Well, seeing how it's still another month until pitchers & catchers start arriving for spring training, I won't mention it again save to say it sure looks like the Yanks overpaid for Soriano in the bullpen in both money and the draft pick.

Spoilers alert or How I Save You Time and Money on some current film releases:

The Fighter -- only saw it because my friend's passes were not valid for True Grit (more on that in a bit) and didn't know anything about it before going into the theatre other than the very obvious. Speaking of obvious: that was Christian Bale's performance. Walhberg was much better although after hearing how many years it took him to get the movie made, one would think he would've learned how to throw a punch. He was fine in the gym on the speedbag, but once he got in the ring he short-armed each and every of the few punches he threw. I was a big fan of Micky Ward so a lot of the drama as to what happens in his fights was lost on me; that they just mention in the Ward's 3 epic fights with Arturo Gatti was... just what it was.

Black Swan -- Ho hum. Really? That was it? Was pretty bored early after seeing the movie telegraph each of its moves. Argento would have made this far more interesting had he made it some years back. He would have cast his daughter, Asia, in the Natalie Portman and she would have had the complete opposite problem with the role: Asia could handle the black swan with sexy ease, but not the white swan. Portman is a very pretty girl (and had been on my Jews I'd Do list) but she really didn't have the dark in her and really never did.
And as far as red herrings go: a ballet dancer with the back tattoo (Kunis) was more than a little unbelievable.

True Grit -- The Coen Brothers should give up remakes, maybe give up period pieces. Such a ho-hum affair, I just couldn't figure out why they made this movie. And I paid full-price for this one. Should have just gone and seen Harry Potter 7.1 again.

A couple of Netflix instant sleepers that may not have crossed your path:
Barry Munday
Splinterheads
City Island
Harmony & Me
I'm not saying any of these will become your new favorite movie, but they're all more than watchable.

I was going to post a dark & oily short story today because I thought I was going to be brief, but I have seemingly filled this box. You get what you pay for: look for "40bucks" maybe tomorrow or Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment