Friday, January 7, 2011

I was going to write about Black Swan, The Fighter and an episode of Battlestar Gallactica that featured a one-eyed boxing referee, but I'll get around to that next. First, let me tell you some wonderful things about a company called at&t. Having finally excised them from my existence (sort of) it has become something of a mission to push/pull you away from their evil, expensive clutches as well.

I had been using them for my cellphone for years (although I really was a Cingular-subscriber who got pulled to the dark side) and even added their u-verse for my internet and a home land line. Of course, I added the land line because MY FREAKING AT&PEE CELLPHONE DIDN'T WORK IN MY HOUSE OR OFFICE!

Yes, stupid me.

But also stupid you and your iphone (that isn't what it says it is; it's not really a phone, now is it?) for continuing to give them money -- and lots of it -- for a product they first convinced us we needed, then we bought in. Suckers! If you watch just about any cellphone provider commercial they tell us -- clearly -- what they think of us: they think we are stupid. And I guess, they are correct. I paid them over $800 over the last year to use 80 cellphone minutes; I think phone calls from space cost less...

If I were a rich man, I would happily give any of you the $100 to get out of your indentured service contract. I told them that I won't pay that $100 on my contract as they did not live up to their end of the deal -- to give me cellphone "service." Much like the guys on the BritCom "The IT Crowd" (is that right?) who answer their phones with a standard, "Have you turned it off and turned it back on?" all the reps at at&pee can say is, "I'm sorry for your frustration." But when the fourth time someone says that (and the fourth "person" who has said it those four times) I am more than frustrated and yes, I am angry.

at&pee sell us shit, we polish it for them with our dollars and call it gold. No, really.

So, next I'll talk about their u-verse customer disservice, but right now I am going to plug MetroPCS first. Last month, FRUSTRATED by at&pee, I made the switch, intrigued by their big adverts all over LA.

And here's the deal: in 5 minutes I was out the door with a new phone and NO CONTRACT. Pleasantly surprised that my new phone could actually make calls (and really, that shouldn't be a surprise, but it is) for $40 a month INCLUDING TAX and everything, I get a phone that makes unlimited calls, texts, picture sending and web access. When I see my MetroPCS phone sitting on my coffee table, I don't get angry like how spying that at&pee phone that was costing me a crapton of money and never got more than a bar or 2 of service.

Anyway, my last bit of advice for today in preparation for you dumping them too: start calling them whenever yu think of it, whenever you have no service, when you drop that call for the 8th time. These reports will help you get out of your contract and NOT PAY that $100+ early termination fee.

Do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment