Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mid-Western Weekend Travel Parts I & II

Last Sunday I was zipped off to Wisconsin with a new friend aptly named Sunshine- she's full of the stuff - for a wedding her band her band was playing. I'm nearly always up for a roadtrip on a sun-streaked Sunday morning and considering that one can purchase beer in Wisconsin that's a win-win. As soon as you hit the border there are signs reading "Wisconsin: Open for Business." Take that Minnesota!

Glaurus brewing makes fantastic beers that do taste even better on Sundays. My previous WI-beer run netted me their Double IPA; this time we had some of the Spotted Cow and another ale whose name escapes me.

Somehow wound up on a CSA farm (yeah, I didn't know what that was either) surrounded by kale and broccoli, I spent most of the day sitting on hay bales or the grass as Sunshine's band played, drinking Summit EPA from the keg and feeling the very odd sensation of being at a wedding that I didn't know anyone at. I know if you work weddings that's a given and a norm, but I felt like something of a crasher, I was almost expecting to have to tell someone that, "I'm with the band."

I know I am getting this weird, local "legend" rapper-DJ-singer's name wrong but it's something like Harmar Superstar and I guess I have to say, "only in the Mid-West" (but I sincerely mean that kindly) but picture a sweatier, shorter version of Ron Jeremy singing Madonna songs and you've just started to scratch the surface.

As the affair was winding down the light show was only getting started. The farm was rocked by thunder and crashed by a very serious lightening storm. We got drenched to the skin during the short run to the car. It made no sense to drive off into the storm just yet, so we did not...


Now that I have ticked off WI, Illinois is up next; more specifically Chicago. I have changed planes at O'hare a few times and I once had a ticket to visit a friend in the Windy City, but as the fortunes have it, this will be my first trip to Chicago. I'm travelling in much different fashion than I normally do, but I'm doing it on the cheap and the quick. I think this will be my first Craigslist ride-share and if I were smart I'd put the girl's name & number here in case this is the last anyone ever hears from me; that info would give the FBI someplace to start but I'll take my chances.

I'm going down for Black Rock Ranger training and I'm being housed by the local Ranger who is having the session at her house so that should be easy... famous last words. I especially got my interest piqued to go to Wrigley Field when watching those games against the Yankees a month or so ago and I'm actually very excited to go the fabled park this Saturday afternoon for a Cubs game.

Looking forward to a Chicago hotdog and deep-dish pizza. You can look forward to a report on Monday. Have a good weekend,
Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment