Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day! Don't you feel independent? Especially as you get in your car filled with gas that came from someplace else to explode extra pollutants into our air that came from someplace else too... Okay, sorry to start this off on the wrong foot, but I guess I am not such a big fan of celebrating by accentuating the bombs bursting as opposed to enjoying freedom. But as a friend in Los Angeles works on a short film to bring to light some of the issues faced by soldiers (and other people) who suffer in the lack of silence from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and I have vivid memories of an awful loud and frightening fireworks night with someone I loved I guess I am not seeing much of the upside of the whole tradition.

Here's a link to Kyle' movie about PTSD; read up on it, donate to his cause if you would like to and can:


Today is also George M. Steinbrenner's birthday. If you come to this blog still expecting me to tell you everything you missed from the previous Yankee game(s) and/or what else struck my fancy around MLB and find yourself disappointed because I am going on about my books or the turkeys wandering the 'hood (I actually think that one of our wild turkeys is missing) may I take this opportunity to suggest following my tweets as the ghost of the famed Yankee principal owner @GeorgesGhost

But today is a great day to barbeque so I do have a bunch of chicken wings marinating in what passes for jerk here in the upper Mid-West and I'll also do some grilled romaine lettuce, too because we are also that very health conscious (editor's note: tongue somewhat in cheek). I am glad that the ongoing pain issues in my mouth from the oral surgeries is finally subsiding enough to permit me to eat something that requires teeth, chewing, etc....

I just found someone on Craigslist locally who wants to get into creating book cover art and copy and I just may hit them up and get this stranger on the Rose cover. Remember that book? It's the one that I said would be in your grubby little hands by now, but clearly is not. But as the summer heats up and the house comes back into array (after months of disarray) I am finally looking forward to putting ass in chair, activating some Sitz Fleisch and getting some words down that are more than this disposable sort of writing.

(Today's blog apparently being brought to you by italics...)

Go out and be safe and eat something good and remember why we shoot bombs into the air and what that actually means.

Climbing off his soapbox and firing up the grill (and wondering if one can buy beer today),
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment