Saturday, July 30, 2011

I just had a really cool, inter-active art experience at The Red Hot Art Fair in Stevens Square unlike one I've never had the pleasure. The whole event was a great way to spend the early part of a Saturday: some good noisy experimental jazz, some very good jerk chicken and plaintain and I was also finally called for a new ring so loudly that I came back with two: one was made from the shell casing from an old Howitzer shell, the other from a metal ruler (blue and "13 inches").

But what really made it for me and for my friend Mary was Round 13 of the Box Art War between Billy & Matt. Hopefully I have successfully figured out how to add the two photographs I took and won't have to explain it all. But here's the rub- there were 2 artists housed in five by five foot wood boxes with holes for eyes. Mind you- it was a very hot and humid day and the boxes were directly in the sun. It wasn't terribly comfortable on a blanket in the shade, it must be awful in the boxes, but they carried on.

Here's the deal: Billy and Matt are in the boxes painting pictures. Every 15 minutes the boxes would get up and move a short distance in the grass (usually around 10 feet) and when they moved from their spot, they would leave the just-completed, still-wet painting. The first person to grab it is the winner - although they are asked to put "ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY" through the eye holes; the winner of Round 13 is whomever collects the most money; the money all going to charity.

I am glad that not only we put the blanket close enough to the sign that I was motivated to read it, share it with Mary and play by their rules. We each got a painting from Box #1 and from Box #3 (our personal tastes were more toward #3, but #1 is no slouch by any means) as well as informing some of the other people in the park of the "rules." I had beaten a girl to the 1st painting (by #3), but Mary gave up the one from #1 and I delivered it to the girl. By the way, this painting also contained a lock of hair, seemingly from the artist. It must have been hot as blazes in there and an impromptu haircut probably seemed like a good idea at the time-- at least it wasn't an ear!

At some point, along with his painting #3 left some compost and a note. I'd scan the note and include it here too, but it's freaking hot upstairs and that's where my scanner is so I will just include the copy from the hand-written note. I may also attach the paintings to a future blog, but as for now: a. it's hot upstairs and b. they may still be a little wet and I don't really need any paint on my scanner glass but trust me-- they're good work.

The note read: "Please find a spot for this banana peel. It's starting to smell. Also I would love some water. Love, Box #3." Of course we disposed of the peel properly and I delivered the requested refreshment.

So, should you see these boxes and rules in passing, stop and watch and get a painting and give to charity at the same time. I think this was a really fantastically original (albeit also some great suffering for the boxed artists even if #1 didn't cut off his ear) method to deliver art.

Cheers,

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment