Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Maybe the NY beat writers are trying to motivate Derek Jeter as he returns from the DL. He has always had something of a "I'll prove you wrong" angle to his performance in later years and he does that with his bat and his glove. But everyday in the papers, it's all about how done he is, how Nunez, the shortstop of the future should have his future now, but the very important fact remains: there are very few guys in the history of the game who have had Jeter's amazing ability to rise to the situation. Sure, there are players who appear on highlight shows day in and day out making amazing catches, but Jeter has done it now for 15+ seasons under the brightest of microscopes and on the biggest stages- the post-season. Sure there are a million Torii Hunter circus catches that you could watch, but when Jeter makes those sort of plays there is more often than not, bunting hanging in the Stadium. The "flip?" Playoff game. The "bloody dive in the seats?" Playoff game. I am not saying he's not slowed, I am not saying he's not stubborn in his refusal or inability to change some of what he does in the field. Yes, he clearly believes his skills are still there and I don't think the opinion of sportswriters or Michael Kay will ever sway that; I doubt the Captain reads any of the papers.

With Hughes about to come off the DL and pitch this week, there were some great stories that were much better reading in the NY papers. There is an unwritten, but strictly enforced policy, that players re-habbing from injuries in the minor leagues, buy the spread after the game for their temporary teammates, who are sometimes accustomed to cold cuts (if they're lucky). Apparently Outback Steakhouse is the #1 choice. If I were the kind of blogger who links to other people's stories this would be a great opportunity to do so, but since I don't actually blog, you are on your own...



4th of July BBQ highlight (that you won't see on ESPN): I had been playing and rough-housing and chasing and giving airplane spins to a friend's near-feral (I do mean this as a compliment for the record) young son. At some point in the afternoon I asked him how old he was. He told me "two and a half." When I asked him how old he thought I was, he looked at me and said, "two and a half."


Wish me luck. I am going to attend my 1st mid-western hippie-fest next weekend. And while I have been attending Burning Man for a decade, I've been making fun of rainbowunicornpatchoulli-gatherings for far longer than that. But for you, my trusted readers, I will venture forth and report back. If I am not back by August 1st though, please call Cartman and have him come save me from hippie-doom.

Thanks. I'll hold you to that...
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment