Thursday, February 16, 2012

So, it's a few days until the Yankee players, and apparently AJ Burnett, report to Tampa for the start of 2012 spring training. And as much as I want to see Burnett gone -- and this really is a case of addition by subtraction -- the report that hit the NY papers this morning was pointless. Burnett shot down a deal to go to the Angels. Okay, got it. And before one even thinks about who would rather go to to the go-nowhere Pittsburgh Pirates over the should-contend and maybe even become the toast of the town in Los Angeles (even if the Angels play in Anaheim which is about as much like LA as Duluth it) remember this fact -- and the papers have been stressing this -- Burnett and his family don't want to go to the West Coast; they live in MD. So don't make Burnett the bad guy on this (especially when there are so many other reasons) as he has been clear. Also, from what I had heard about Abreu's bat-speed these days, the Yanks would then be stuck with a high-payroll DH who has little zip left in his bat.

You ask me - and if you're reading this, then in some regards you are - get AJ gone to whomever will take him AND his salary. There are a handful of guys clamoring to be the Yankee DH, willing to take cuts to both their salary and their pride for a chance for a ring and a chance to play on the most famed sports franchise.

Word now is this won't happen until after AJ reports, but I think Cashman - and even if it's just to distract himself from his personal life - is working the phones to make this happen sooner rather than later. And if that is wishful thinking on my part (and I'd suspect most Yankee fans) then so be it.

The "Rose" proof has been ordered; it's being printed as I type this and I should have it in my hot, grubby hands in one week's time. Words, words, words...

I really thought Uggie, the dog in "The Artist" deserves some sort of recognition from the Academy. A really great supporting performance no matter what his species or genus. I heard from the lovely woman I'm dating over a kickass steak dinner last night that Uggie is not doing well. Sure hope if the pup does receive mention during next month's Oscar telecast (yes, I'll be watching on TV; no noms for me either) that it is NOT under the Obit part of the show...

I sent in a resume for a local screenwriting re-write gig this morning; first time I've looked for work in that field this year.

Thanks,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment