Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I was really, really hoping to wake this morning to a picture of a scowling/smiling Aj Burnett donning a Pirates hat (in my dreams it would be one of those 1976 flat-topped models, but who's kidding: I'd be happy to see him even in a sox cap) along with the announcement that the Yanks had slipped out of the last 2 years of the righthander's contract - even if we ate more than $20M in his contract. A small price to pay seems odd, but appropriate...

But while the talks are proceeding, AJ remains the property of the NY Yankees; that's all I want for Valentine's Day, which used to be the day that pitchers & catchers reported for spring training. I hope the silly hallmark-holiday didn't have anything to do with the change. At least the Mariners are going already (nice report out of their camp about former Yank Hector Noesi and his goals of making their starting staff out of the spring) and a few Yanks - most notably the 389 year old Captain - Derek Jeter is in Tampa and hitting and working up a sweat.

Great move for Billy Beane and the A's to sweep in and grab the huge-upside Cuban defector, Cespedes. I have rooted for the Athletics since the days another Billy (Martin) was running the green n' gold, and enjoyed going to the otherwise lousy, but cheap Coliseum when I lived in Berkeley. It had looked like the A's were going to show MLB just how much they needed an approval to move to San Jose and open a new park and then they make a great move. Sure hope they don't compound it by also adding f'in Manny Ramirez, but I would understand it if they do.

The great news that I did awake to this morning was that the cover art-work for my long-threatened short-story collection, "A Rose by any Other Name" has been approved. I had for some time thought a Valentine's Day release would have been appropriate, but ordering that as a present to myself today feels right and who knows-- maybe I can make it in time for Steak & a BJ Day which is a month hence and maybe, just maybe even more apropos.

I'll keep you posted.

And as today is the worst day outside of Mother's Day to find yourself in a restaurant unless, I suppose, you work there and are making monster-sized tips, may you be cooking -- or being cooked for -- by someone(s) you love...

Cheers,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment