Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ahhh... The AJ Burnett era in the Bronx is over -- I mean, unless we meet the Pittsburgh Pirates in the World Series which has about as much a chance of happening of me missing the enigmatic right-handed head-case. And it really, really doesn't matter that the Yanks will be paying $20M so AJ can pitch for another team. And it really, really doesn't matter that what the Yanks got in return are being called "marginal prospects." What matters is that Girardi doesn't have to send this guy out every fifth day hoping that this is the game that he keeps his head. What matters is that Cashman doesn't have to tell the world that AJ is a part of the team and has his full support. What matters is that Rothschild can concentrate on the other ten or so guys on the pitching staff.

I am not going to pile on. I am just happy to see this failure remedied; I wish it hadn't taken so long; he's the guy you hope isn't pitching when you show up to the ballpark; he's the guy who keeps the brooms at home; he's the guy that gave the other team the chance they need. And now he's someone else's problem. And who knows? Perhaps he'll succeed in the NL and the Central division now minus the huge bats of Pujols and Fielder will be easier to negotiate.

And yes, of course, had the Yankees wanted to go out and sign Ibanez (the leading DH candidate over re-treads of Matsui or Damon) they could have afforded to do so -- this is the NY Yankees after all, but now "freeing up" this money allows them to do so and keep to the "budget." I think quotes and italics are probably necessary when talking about the Yankee payroll. But if jettisoning Burnett also allows the Yanks to re-sign Chavez, despite his myriad injury issues (still-- he's no Nick Johnson, thank the lord and pass the potatoes, but don't pass the DL, do not save $200) I am all for this move even if we had to pay all of Burnett's salary; this is just part of the game. I am sure there's a list out there of what teams are paying what players what portion of their salary to play for another team.

Even @GeorgesGhost is happy today; I am sure that won't last, but ding dong.

The count down for the "Rose" proofs is a handful of days. When the book does arrive, then and only then, will I scan in a copy of the cover. And yes-- shameless self-promotion shall ensue; don't fret: I will let you know when and how you can buy this book that has absolutely nothing to do with baseball.

I got some interest over the last few from a manager/producer type in my kids' script, "Field Trip," and it's being read, allegedly at a pretty well-known company that makes kid and family fare; I won't mention them by name at this point (superstitious!) but I will say the name of the company both starts and ends with the letter "N." Of course the manager-guy said he was going to call me yesterday which meant I had to forego my siesta which meant that he did not call. Ahh... Hollywood-- how I miss you. Yeah. Right.

Okay, sun is out; may grab some. I have "Rum Diary" standing by and will be making my maiden voyage this evening to the 7th Street Entry annex of 1st Avenue tonight to see Zoo Animal (it's their CD-release party) along with a few other local acts.

Cheers,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment