Friday, January 13, 2012

Congrats to Barry Larkin and his induction to the Hall of Fame. In a skinny year he does seem worthy. Bernie Williams got some votes (I think about 13%), but his chances especially with some shue-ins upcoming seem skinny, too. The next couple years with the steroid guys all becoming eligible should be interesting. I wonder how much in how the Ryan Braun situation plays out effects the likes of Bonds, Sosa, Clemens et al.

Hank Steinbrenner is putting his nose into the Yankee pitching situation this week much like he did last year with Soriano. Steinbrenner met with Boras about Edwin Jackson, who would be an upgrade over AJ Burnett (but, who wouldn't be?) and even Freddy Garcis, but if Nova keeps to make progress, if Hughes comes back full-strength and the pitcher he has been, the rotation looks sharper than what we had going into last season. Cashman is likening Hector Noesi to "this year's Ivan Nova" and while that may just be GM-speak for "we're not going to overpay for pitching," at this point with somewhat weakened competition in the AL East, that may carry the team at least until the trading deadline come summertime.

Pitchers and catchers report in about 5 weeks; a week later than usual, but that's okay. So far haven't been jonesing too much for a game. I do have about 2 weeks' worth of un-seen Yankee games that I can watch should the snow pile up and I've run through all I want on Netflix.

I hope no-one gives Manny a job. Period.

So I do have a date with the woman I met at the CVB/Cracker show- so there. That may be the last national touring act to come through here for a while, so I am glad that I made the most of it. Although when Lucero come the first week in April -- I got a pre-sale ticket through the band yesterday -- there very well may be snow on the ground. Finally turned cold here over the last couple days.

As for bar-tending school, after being scolded, "hold the bottle like a bartender" about a dozen times my first session in, perhaps I have that part down. Learned how to pour shots "like a bartender," too. The hardest part of my first set of lessons (outside of somehow cutting myself and bleeding all over the bar towel) was biting my lip - and keeping it bit - when I was being "taught" how to make a Bloody Mary. About the only thing my recipe and their's have in common is tomato juice and vodka.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for your concern...

Cheers
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment