Monday, November 7, 2011

Sorry for the week away from saying anything here. What was there to say? Did I mention that the Yanks re-signed CC Sabathia before he could opt-out? Did I say they performed the no-brainer and picked up the $14M option on Robinson Cano and the probably-took-some-deliberation $10M on Nick Swisher? Possibly.

I did get to see a little of last night's broadcast of the MLB stars in Taipei, China. CM Wang being as big as Jeebus back home got knocked around with 2 out in the 2nd inning and gave up 3 runs.


Meanwhile, with all this free time I've been working on a polish on my friend Sparrow's novel adaptation. It was pretty "funny" to me that some of her themes and even some specific lines in her book reminded me much of the last novel that I wrote this time last year. More amusing is that I sent that to Sparrow to read -- the only person and clearly the right one -- so I will wait to see if she picks up on some of the similarities; they are ones that come as much from our living as our writing...

Speaking of writing, I am 13,000+ words into the new novel, "Warm Button Issues," and although it's been a struggle, I have been putting ass in chair and bang-banging away at this thing. Here is the opening paragraph. Enjoy it and don't consider it blog-padding...


“Cut,” the little voice ordered. He was lost, he didn’t hear her. “Cut,” she whined drawing out the u-sound for what felt like a three count. He had the children’s safety scissors enveloped in his arthritic right hand like Andre the Giant operating a pair of hedge-clippers, but he was seeing something else. How he could miss those brilliant gray eyes, eyes that looked nothing at all like his own big, brown eyes, starting plaintively up at him from the Persian carpet that annexed most of the bowling alley smooth hardwood floor of Lily’s playroom?

Thanks,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment