Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Yankees keep doing that couple steps forward, slip-slide back although they do start the day still in first place in the AL East. Colon cruised for five then lost it and the game in the 6th; perhaps he's ready for a little re-up shot from his doctor? Of course, if the Yanks don't hit, they're not going to win. But at least it's not like the situation across town in Queens; the Mets can't win even when they do so on the field. Seen on a storage facility in New York City: "Why leave? New York has 6 professional sports teams -- and the Mets!"

Speaking of shots: who's been doping Bautista?

****

So, when I started brewing beer about 15 years ago, I quickly discovered that I had a real affinity for it and I also was informed that I come from a long line of "home brewers" -- starting back in the Black Forest in almost-Germany.

I was forced to scrap my gear when I moved from Brooklyn in a huff (so to speak) but I have been longing to get back to it. Last week I was even pricing start-up kits locally so maybe I mean it. Wound up getting in a conversation with Jason, the brewer, at Harriet Brewery. He was supposed to be talking to strangers at the MN Craft Beer "Event" at Buster's, but preferred to preach to the converted. Fine by me! I've been invited to home-brew with his set-ups that are already at the brewery. With nothing standing in my way other than a bus to a light rail trip there and back, I may make a trip out there this week: first to shadow him as he does one of his brews, but my own soon enough.

I know I thought to bring some of my home-brew books here -- and that's telling: I didn't bring too many others (used book shopping Uptown though scored me some good, cheap new reads; nearly done with "Fast Sofa" by Bruce Craven. Got it for fifty cents and it still had the 7" FleshEaters' flexi-disc soundtrack tucked within its pages) but I wish I had my recipes. Those very well may be harder to put my hands on but I am motivated to do so; I don't really want to have to start all from scratch...

*****

Looks like I have lined up a guinea pig/reader for the Live Fast! novel so it's off to get a new printer. The lack of one has been part of the current set of excuses keeping me working on anything more complex than these here blogs, but at least those have been more regular of late. Right?
Right...


No comments:

Post a Comment