Thursday, March 17, 2011

This past week's excuse for not blogging: Worst Flu Ever. I'd been handling the rather relatively pleasant weather -- the coldest I've been during my fortnight in the 612 was earlier this week under 3 blankets in bed. But I am thawing along with the snow so I'll try and be more regular. I could make a joke about the flu and being regular but I'll refrain...

*****

I am kind of looking forward to the documentary on its way from Netflix right now. When "Troll" came out in 1986 it quickly became a favorite piece of schlock -- probably the best Sonny Bono movie of all and I do really mean that. So, I was excited for the sequel when it came out a few years later. Disappointment would be understatement. I have seen some very, very bad movies in my life -- often my choice (Crap! I've written a few of them too -- rarely by choice) but I have been calling "Troll 2" the worst movie I have ever seen.

I have described it to anyone willing enough or trapped in my company as seemingly having must been made by people who had never heard English spoken or had ever seen another movie in their lifetime. Troll 2, in my less than humble opinion, is truly the absolute worst movie ever made. No bold statement.

How bad does it get? Outside of no repeat Sonny Bono perf there are no actual trolls in this 1990 release. The movie is set in the hopefully-fictional town of Nilbog. Now it's been 20 years since I saw it, but I have one very vivid memory that these days I would never have even gotten to: Now I would have plucked it from the dvd player and returned it to Netflix with disdain and prejudice.

The lead characters having escaped look back at the town sign in their rear-view mirror and see the name reflected. NILBOG IS GOBLIN BACKWARDS! Which, while true as all get out -- the movie is called Troll and not Goblin. And I think that was the best moment in the entire film.

So I am very excited to see a doc about how this is the worst movie ever made; it's not like I need validation when I *know* I have been 100% correct for the last 20 years, but ...

****

Between the waiting for my stuff to arrive from LA and the flu I have watched more pre-season baseball than even I would left to my own devices (in this case: the beloved MLB.TV package, my annual early birthday present to myself) which has been a great distraction.

Best tidbit: Bosox manager Francona asks Lester to be opening day starter via text message. How bush league is that? About as bush as it gets, but I suppose that is to be expected.

Okay, back to your regular programming: I'll keep this thing more regular too: "Promise."

No comments:

Post a Comment