Monday, September 13, 2010

This blog is now officially off hiatus and as prepared as possible for keeping you up-to-date on what matters to me (and what should matter to you) down the home-stretch. If you have to know: I spent the last few weeks preparing, participating and recovering from TTITD. This was the first time in 9 years that I checked my email while out there; I also checked the AL East standings twice, too and with good results.
The movie “Kick Ass” really is and was, yet again, more evidence that Hollywood can sometimes make a good, entertaining, not-for-kids movie and still have no idea how to sell it to us. The posters and ads that I recall from the theatrical release made me think this was a piece of fanboy, fluffy comic book entertainment.
I suppose I am supposed to say: “Some spoilers below; jump to the next section if you haven’t seen “Kick Ass” and intend to.
What it really is is a pretty dark and quite violent, odd little movie masquerading (due the tone the ads sent) as something else. I wonder how many parents walked out with their little ones when the lead kid gets stabbed quite realistically and then run over. Worse still: I wonder how many parents stayed in their seats as the movie quite possibly got far more intense than what should be handled by young children.
I remember seeing some piece of crap horror thing (A Haunting in CT, maybe?) at the Uni-shitty multi-plex (free, though) and there were some young kids sitting near me. As the movie got scary to an 8 year old, I can still clearly hear the kids crying and begging to leave. The parents’ reply? Shut up and sit down. Sure wish I had the button and those “parents” seats were wired like in William Castle’s “The Tingler.” I would have given them something to remember; I would have made it rather difficult for them to “shut up and sit down.”

There shall be no further updates and no further kvetching* about Furion Entertainment Group or their representatives Georgie George or Lisa Wilson. I gave them the opportunity this past week to put up or shut up. After more than half a year of having smoke blown through every open orifice, of being strung along and treated completely unprofessionally, I employed the old salesman trick of the “take away.” I would say that about 10% of me was hoping that it would be “successful;” that they would respond with the long delayed check and contract.
But I was more than equally prepared for the “best of luck with your career” voicemail that my fuck off and die, “put all my materials in the shredder” email I sent on Friday at the close of business elicited. Good riddance to more bad rubbish! On to the next…
*excluding references made, excerpts posted from the fringe screenwriting book.

Yes, the announcers were all aflutter about this past weekend’s Yankees/Rangers series as being a “playoff preview.” And it very well may have been that and there was playoff-like intensity for some of it, especially with Ron Washington using his expanded (bloated?) bullpen for match-ups like it was a game 7. But here’s the thing: had this actually been the playoffs, Girardi wouldn’t have rested Jeter, A-Rod and Swisher for a game a piece over the three.
And although the Rangers came at the Yanks with their top 3 frontline starters, the ones in the gray uni’s countered with Vazquez, Burnett and Moseley (aka known as numbers 5, ? and 7 in the Yankee starting pitcher depth charts) who are not exactly the Murderer’s Row of arms.
Picture-in-Picture WIN! Saw the Jay’s Adam Lind’s walk-off two run shot of TB’s stud closer Soriano as Thames was batting vs. Lee in the Yankee game.
Holy crud! No worse sight in MLB than having to watch David Eckstein playing in those Sunday Padre fatigues…

No comments:

Post a Comment