Monday, September 27, 2010

HOW I SUFFER FOR YOU

So far from post-season baseball weather out in LA it isn’t funny and because of stupid MLB package restrictions I am forced, first on Saturday to listen to Sterling & Waldman’s CBS radio broadcast and then yesterday, the insufferable Morgan on the ESPN Sunday night game.
Oddly enough, the Yankees broadcasters spent all game bad-mouthing the home team and wringing their hands loudly and often. Sterling further tarnished my opinion of him by singing a bit of “Candyman” when Curtis hit his meaningless homerun, changing it to “The Grandyman can…” and I’d bet this little ditty of his has caused at least twenty-three car accidents along the way.
Apologies for the brevity of Friday’s post; I had meant to mark the end of summer and then it slipped my mind. The official end of summer was noted in the lower section of seats on the 1st base side of Yankee Stadium. How do I know this? The very pretty, Robin Givens’ doppelganger, who works that very TV-friendly angle had to switch from her sleeveless tops (which I am sure they gave her extra summer combat pay for) to regular sleeves, and then last night, in a showcase of autumn, even into a fleecy pullover. Yes, summer is over; the Playoffs start in a little more than a week. If you watch YES broadcasts than you know of what I speak.
It used to be nice like that up in Toronto. The Blue Jays used to employ only the cutest of little brunettes to work the seats behind the plate; sometimes they could be a little distracting. But perhaps with the switch to the Rogers Centre and all, they’ve let some blondes in and ruined the game…
Joe Morgan must fear this blog as he was noticeably quiet in last night’s broadcast. Or, perhaps he’s afraid of Hershiser? This verbatim from yesterday’s amazing and tense game: “Joe, I think you may be a little bit right.” I’d love to hear Kim Jones says that to Kay.
But Girardi finally looked like he wanted to win a game and shut people up for the rest of the week. Swapping Hughes back in as starter instead of Moseley sent the right signal and Phil responded giving the skipper and the team exactly what they needed.
Of course they still needed some A-Rod and he, too, came through in the clutch with a come-from-behind two-run in the 7th. And yes, that should have been all they wrote, but this is Yankees/Red Sox on a national broadcast no less so figure in blown saves by two of the top tier closers and an extra inning walk-off run-scoring walk to Juan Miranda and the Yanks have essentially knocked the Sox out and secured the playoffs; they will win a game this week even if they don’t actually try. The Sox will lose one, too.

Thelonious Monster on Saturday night at Spaceland sounded great, although that could be nostalgia and too many martinis speaking, but I had a great time singing along. And Bob Forrest afterwards was rather nice. How drunk was I? I did mumble something to my cocktail waitress about buying the solo redhead at the bar a drink. Not sure if she accepted and I didn’t even trouble myself, or, more importantly her, to even say hello. Real smooth move there.
I did ask the cute goth chick to sit down at my table, but I swear it was only because she was pregnant. Yeah, that was the only thought on my mind…

No comments:

Post a Comment