Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Yankees flew off the west coast last night and have an off-day in Detroit, which is probably not as nice as having one off in SoCal, but such  if life. After sweeping the A's, the Yanks finally salvaged the third game and went 4-2 on that part of the trip. Nova didn't pitch well last night, but Girardi and the line-up backed him up for the win.

After the game Russell Martin reported he was "being punished" by the home plate umpire. His offense? Arguing balls and strikes. His penalty? The ump wouldn't let Martin throw the ball back to the pitcher all game. The catcher says he needs the throws to keep his arm loose; the umpire says throwing the balls is an earned privilege. As for me? That's a new one and I've been watching this game for a long time.

The Rangers signed free agent pitcher Roy Oswalt which is the first big mid-season transaction. He could be good back-up as Feliz is on the DL. The Rockies designated ancient Jamie Moyer (he's even older than me) for assignment; the Twins would be smart to take a flier on him you ask me...

Saw the Twins beat the hapless A's yesterday at a noon game. Liriano threw his best -- and fastest -- game of the season as the home team sent Oakland to their eighth loss in a row, but demonstrating some "Minnesota nice" the game only took two hours and sixteen minutes meaning I could get to happy hour -- and the first Manhattan of the day -- by the 3pm start.

I think the bartenders recognized my ink more than my face; had only been in the joint once (that I can recall) but was recognized and treated to big shot o' Rye...

Got the first royalty payment for "Rose" yesterday, which was great, but it's not anything I can retire on my yacht on. Maybe next month. Actually, next month I will finally have copies of my book on hand. If you're looking to buy a copy straight from the source -- and signed by "the author" -- drop me a line.

Thanks,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment