Wednesday, June 12, 2013


Well, there's nothing like making your New York City debut in the midst of the first tropical storm of the year (Andrea, if you're wondering) but that's what Friday, June 7th was for me and "A Rose by any Other Name." Curated by Neke Carson and Michael Wiener and hosted by the lovely staff at the Dixon Place, Darren Gaines and I brought "To Begin Again: A Modern Campfire" to life despite the torrential downpour.

The program opened with the world premiere screening of our long-in-the-works (after the original editor lost the master tapes for a couple years) music video for the song "To Begin Again" and then Darren read the first set of excerpts from his book, "Billboards."

Tag-teaming our performances, I interspersed three of the tales from Rose -- Last Paige, Mustang Sally and The Cross of Lorraine -- with a song from Darren as well as some more book-excerpts. Having debuted the format in Los Angeles the previous month, it's something I will try to replicate in each city I visit with Rose. It's been fantastic sharing the stage with friend/performers so San Francisco friends, drop me a line if you wanted to join me on the next leg.

Sunday, June 10th was the second and last NY appearance and for this one, I attempted to do what I had done in Los Angeles at the Bronson Bar -- a more casual reading spread out over the course of the late afternoon. But, making my Brooklyn debut at the Commonwealth Bar, I added a new wrinkle: food by my brother, Andy, who was aided and abetted by my nephew, Chase.

Despite combating noisy, 20-something, Sunday-afternoon drinkers and motorcycles in Brooklyn, this event was well received as well. Andy sold out - and then some - on his crazy cheesy concoctions. I read Last Paige and The Cross of Lorraine again, but added Zora, the Last Girl and Gabby & the New Boy to the set.

Others seemed more concerned with the talking (and there were some "talkings to") than many of the guests, but I figured I was the interloper. People who were already enjoining their drinks and the return of the sunshine in the backyard of the bar didn't know they were attending a book reading. I just spoke louder; see the neck veins popping?

And it felt really good to read to a more "hostile" crowd and to sell some books to random people as opposed to just preaching to the converted. As with the Dixon Place on Friday, return invites for all involved were quickly forthcoming so who knows? Maybe there will be a second NYC appearance at some point.

If you want to purchase a copy of "Rose" and I am not scheduled to come to your town it's available via Amazon (just sold my 1st copy to Japan!) and Kindle, but it's best for the author if you purchase it here.

I also have some promotional Rose t-shirts and tank-tops available. Want to sport the pink and support Rose? Drop me a line and we can make that happen. Here's the very lovely and talented Liliana from the Dixon Place modeling the tank-top.

Thanks for the support: NYC!

Here's an unsolicited review from the Dixon Place show and a recent review on Amazon:

It was a blast. Brian's servings of delicious black humor by comparison makes others look like so many shades of gray. Format was great, too, almost a variety hour, with music and poetry readings. - Daniel O'Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars umm yes June 5, 2013
By Emily S
Format:Kindle Edition
This book is getting me all hot and bothered and wishing I was getting laid. Nice job author!
Really great writing on specific moments and life events we can all relate to.
Thanks everyone!
Brian





No comments:

Post a Comment