Monday, July 30, 2012

I had started writing a piece, ostensibly for Bronx Baseball Daily, about my beliefs that the Yankees will NOT adhere to their stated goal of a payroll of $189M (not a budget cap, but below the luxury-tax threshold) by the 2014 season. And while I was surprised in doing a little research to find out that only 3 players are actually, currently under contract for 2 year hence. Although there's $75M committed to the trio of CC, Tex and A-Rod, which comprises a few teams out there, I really cry BS that the Bombers -- who still need to sign Cano and Granderson long-term among other -- will stick to that goal. But when I dug a little deeper I discovered BBD had already covered that, so I won't repeat.

But the trade for Ichiro opened up another subject and I'll be writing -- hopefully later today -- about some of the superstars and Hall of Famers the Yankees have picked up over the last few decades at the end of the season, the end of their careers. It's an impressive list although I have to admit I had totally forgotten the Yanks brought Goose Gossage back to the fold.

Yanks dropped 2 of 3 over the weekend against the bosox. They're the last place team and dropping a game in the standings at the end of July isn't the worst thing ever, although how they lost the last two-- Soriano and Robertson giving up the game after the team had battled back from deficits in the last frames was pretty painful.

Of course, not like getting swept by LA - being shut out twice in a row - like the Giants suffered over the rivalry weekend. That's gotta hurt...


That's the first artwork by Meital to accompany this week's story, "Hail Mary" in the Jerusalem Post. I am offering a special "clearance" (as in I want to "clear" my shelf to make way for fresh copies) right now on the last dozen copies of "A Rose by Any Other Name" -- I will cover shipping charges on inscribed copies. Send me $14 American and a copy will wing its way to you.

Good summer reading...

Thanks,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment