Wednesday, June 13, 2012



And then yesterday, my worlds combined: I haven't been watching/reporting on as much baseball as I usually do because I've been in a VA Hospital room with my dear friend, David. And then, lo and behold, baseball came to us. Okay, I wasn't there because I had come down with something of a cold and couldn't be in close proximity to the man recovering in the bed. And even if I can't recognize anyone other than David & his wonderful wife, Margit except for Twins manager, Ron Gardenhire (back/right) and team mascot, TC (front/left) I did vow that I will no longer refer to the Minneapolis professional baseball club as "the twinkies."

Let's see how long that lasts...

Meanwhile, the New York Yankees are leaving their brooms in the closet and are steam-rolling the NL East this week. The Yanks swept the cross-town "rival" Mets out of the Bronx over the weekend with some comeback muscle. They took the second of three last night down in Atlanta, coming back from four down in the eighth on the bat of A-Rod who hit his 23rd career grand-slam. The bases-clearing long ball tied Lou Gehrig for top of the list - all-time - and tied the score at four. Two batters later, Swish also went yard. CC got the win, the pen nailed it down with Soriano getting his tenth save of the season filling in for Mo - it was also the 100th career save for Sori.

And despite how poorly this season has seemed to be going for the Yanks, they now have the best record in the AL and are in first alone atop the division for the first time since April. Let's hope they're there to stay.

Okay, that's it for today. Although I am going to once again, leave you with a moment of baseball Zen. This video that was posted on the YES site yesterday is freaking brilliant even if it's still too soon for bosox fans. Kenyan kids re-enact the Bill Buckner play from the 1986 World Series. WOW!

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120612&content_id=33164494&oid=0

Thanks,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment