Friday, April 13, 2012

Happy freakin' birthday to me. If you happen to be a facebook-friend of mine you know that is how I wish everyone I know a happy birthday. Here's the back-story to how that particular greeting came into being.

Probably fifteen years ago, my best friend J. Haran (who was murdered by cancer about a dozen years ago) gave me a birthday card. It had a simple drawing of a guy who looked like he should be a plumber. The words in the bubble were the very apt, very man-to-man in a self-deprecating nature said, "Happy Freakin' Birthday."

The next year on my birthday, J. gave me the exact same card. When I told him that he had given me the same card the previous year, J. said, "Did I?"

The next year, same card again. When I told J. that he had given me that same card the year before, he said the exact same thing. I told him that we had this very same conversation - verbatim - the year before.

This happened again the following year. And now, well, first I miss the crap out of him and I still don't know if he didn't know he was getting me the same card -- if it just seemed appropriate -- or he was messing with me. J. took that secret to his too-early grave...

Today is the Yankee Home Opener. I wish I was there, but will be watching on the computer. A nice little present to me.

And my present to you is the first opportunity to purchase the print edition of the long, long-threatened book. I sure hope this link works; Kindle has started giving my book away for free which is a great way to get the words out, but it doesn't pay the rent.

https://www.createspace.com/3527985

But if the Universe and technology is on my side for a change today, then that will take you to the site where you can get yourself, your significant other or your mom a copy of my book.

Thanks much,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment