Friday, August 19, 2011

Of all the other major league parks in which I get to see Yankee road games, Target has become possibly my favorite. Yes, it's close by and I can even bike there; I didn't last night as my face is still recovering from some dude in a face mask cutting me open, gouging me out and stitching me back up-- unlike a mugger though, this time I didn't have to pay the oral surgeon and even got some lovely, take-home prizes. I will bike to at least 1 of the 4 game series this weekend, possibly even 2 or 3. And it's a gorgeous new park dab-smack in the middle of downtown Minneapolis (yes-- there IS a downtown Minneapolis and just because it's clean doesn't make it not a downtown, he said with a barely discernible wink) and yes, the Yankees tend to have their way with the Twinkies, although it is hard to sweep a 4-game series and no, that is not a concession. Speaking of concessions, last night in deference to my mouth it was just sub-standard cheese curds but a few nice Summit EPA's to wash 'em down with. Should step up to the chili from Loon's tonight and then be in shape for the brats from the local Polish place that I won't even attempt to spell, but it starts with a K and ends with one too, I think.

In the stands though, is where the Twins fans differentiate themselves. Actually, even before you get into the place, about the most hostile person you will see is the guy hawking "Yankees Suck" t-shirts and even he knows they don't actually mean it. I have never been given less crap as a visiting Yankee fan (and last night was 3 pieces of flair: hat, t-shirt and #31 jersey) at any park I have ever been to and that includes World Series games on the road too (hello San Diego. How are you today?). Twins fans expect to lose to the Yankees and they expect some good-natured ribbing from the horde who root for US Steel.

And after having a reviewed home-run call go against the Yankees in KC the night before (and erroneously I may add) last night a ball that was originally deemed out of the park was reviewed and benefited the Yankees. I could read Morneau's lips in the dugout when he said that the ball went over the foul-pole, but the umps saw it differently and after Morneau returned to the plate to strike out it was if most of the wind went out of the Twins sails as Gardenhire argued the review, which you're not permitted to do.

8-4 was the final, the Yankees showing how to actually hit home-runs in the spacious Target Field. Tonight is game 2- Hughes vs Slowey and I'm in my favorite seats: high up but directly behind home plate. Another beautiful night for baseball by early indications. Come buy me a beer now that you know where I will be sitting.

Cheers
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment