Monday, August 23, 2010

Hasta La Vista, Lou...

August 23, 2010

Baseball saw the end of active duty of one of its all-time great characters, Sweet Lou Piniella, yesterday. I really could have predicted this before his earlier-than-expected announcement, but them’s the breaks. And watching the end of the Cubs game on Friday made it just so crystal clear that Lou was done. He shall be missed by baseball and by me…

What do you say about a 10-0 blanking of the Mariners? Interim manager Daren Brown walked Tex intentionally to face Cano with the bases loaded of a 1-0 game. Quick as a cobra, Cano made it 5-0, which was the Yanks 10th grand slam of the season, tying a team record. And that put the game out of reach with CC on his game and the bullpen called into service earlier than expected due to an hour rain delay continued and completed the shut-out.
The game had been so quiet into the 4th that at times all you could hear coming from the stands was the sound of someone banging a metal spoon on Freddy’s pot. And then – boom – Kearns put one out and it was Yankee Stadium again.
Of course, there was the classic Kay moment: Kay says, “CC hasn’t allowed a hit,” and even before the words are all the way out of his big, fat mouth a single is being lined into the outfield.

So, it’s been nearly three weeks since the CEO was supposed to get back to me with either and offer or an official pass on my spec script. She’s on my phone call list for today; it will go something along the lines of me saying I’m calling to “catch up.” Don’t cross your fingers for me; they may freeze like that…

If you like really good intense action flicks, I cannot recommend 1985’s “Fair Game” highly enough. It’s an Australian flick, some what in the same vein as “Straw Dogs” if I had to pigeon-hole it, but it’s shot so well and so creatively and the stunts are just sick. See it if you’re of the mind…
Th-th-th-that’s it folks…

No comments:

Post a Comment