Saturday, March 3, 2012

Okay, I am feeling a wee bit guilty about AJ Burnett. Unlike in the case of Blake Snyder, the author of "Save the Cat," of whom I may have hastened his demise, I did not mean for any harm to come to the right-handed pitcher. Yes, more than just about anything, I wanted AJ out of Yankee pinstripes. If you follow my twitter account (@GeorgesGhost) you would see that while AJ was the center of my attention it was rarely aggressive. And unlike fans of the San Francisco Giants who do wish injury - even career ending injury - on Barry Zito, all I wanted was for Burnett to be gone.

And yes I exulted when he was traded to the Pirates I reiterate I didn't want any actual harm to come to him. So I apologize to AJ who pretty seriously injured himself practicing bunting during batting practice. And yes, it brings up the question as to why pitchers are hitting - they should not be. See the case of CM Wang, see this case for Burnett. Let pitchers pitch and hitters hit. I implore the NL to get with the program and employ the DH.

By the way, the very first designated hitter, Ron Blomberg, for the Yankees in 1973 was a member of the tribe. Speaking of MLB playing members of the tribe, the Ryan Braun PED scandal has not quite cooled off this week.

Meanwhile, Jesus Montero (traded this winter from the Yanks to the Mariners) was also injured in the first spring training game of the season yesterday. He has to leave the game after two consecutive pitches hit him in the jaw while catching. Speaking of DHs, which Montero should be, I claim that I had absolutely nothing to do with his injury.

Meanwhile, MLB approved expansion of the playoffs for the coming season with an additional 2 teams making the post-season via the wild card. Had this been in place last season it would have rendered moot one of the most exciting days in the history of baseball last year; the insane final day of the season when both the Braves and bosox were bounced from the playoffs. Had the additional 2 teams been part of the 2011 scheme baseball would have missed out on two epic chokes.

Clearly it's all for the money, to keep more teams in the playoff hunt as the season winds down. Time will tell how this plays out. If you want to know how the new system is being employed, read this:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120229&content_id=26927024&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

And as snow finally falls on the 612, I get to turn my attentions south to Florida where the 1st spring training Yankee game is being telecast at noon local time vs. the Phillies.

Still waiting on notes from friends on "Rose;" still hoping to be able to have the book release party on/about Steak & a BJ Day. Additionally, when I hit 50 followers on this site someone at random is getting a signed copy of the book upon the release, but you're on your own for the steak and the fellatio. Sorry...

Yesterday, I spent considerable hours updating, polishing and revising my kids' basketball script, "Blacktop," as the lit-manager is sending it out on the heels of "Field Trip" and "Crawlspace Charlie." How old was "Blacktop?" Had to change VHS to DVD, Malone to Melo and Sega GameGear to Nintendo-DS: that old.

Okay, an hour til "Play Ball!" and the official end to winter.

Oh, and if you have young readers in your midst may I recommend the work of Mac Barnett. Not only did he open the Echo Park Time Travel Mart/826 Branch (where I used to volunteer) but his writing for kids is excellent. I just burned through the 1st of the Brixton Brothers mysteries, "The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity" while watching the snow fall.

I know a 10 year old girl who will be getting a copy of that soon.

Cheers and welcome to the site,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment